Thursday, January 19, 2012

Green Smoothie

Did you see the sunrise this morning?
It was so beautiful and the air is so crisp and clean!
So grateful!
Last night my friend Leanna (of home-madehealth.blogspot.com)
and I went up to listen to Robyn Openshaw
I have many clients that have her book and have LOVED her recipes!
Listening to her story, I could see why people enjoy her. I especially loved the story of her grandmother who healed her own cancer through a raw food diet.
It was so inspirational.
FOOD IS MEDICINE.
 amen.

In honor of "The Green Smoothie Girl"

Here is my version:
 
Cody's Green Smoothie
1.5 C almond milk
1/2 C coconut water
2 leaves lacinto (dark green) kale or swiss chard, coarsely chopped
1/4 avocado
1/2 C mango chunks
1/2 C ice

Why is it so amazing for you to drink "green smoothies"?

Well,
the green pigment in food is caused by the food's content of chlorophyll.
Chlorophyll is often refered to as the blood of plants. 

I like to think of it as direct power from the sun.

Daily consumption of chlorophyll-rich foods:

1. Help to keep the body's pH levels balanced, because of their high mineral content.

2. Because chlorophyll is pure energy from the sun, by bringing that energy into your body you gain more energy and that helps your body combat fatigue and disease.  
Can I have a Hallelujah?

3. Because of it's alkalizing properties, chlorophyll -rich foods are awesome and important to consume before a workout because it helps with muscle efficiency and endurance. 

4. ALSO, it's fantastic after a great training session, because it helps the body with regeneration and recovery. That mean's you can hit it hard again much sooner and get a leg up on your competition! (hint, hint you triathletes out there.)

5. Eating chlorophyll-rich foods also supplies your body with easily absorbed calcium keeping our bones strong and helping with muscle contraction.

6. Dark Green veggies are also an excellent source of iron, which helps to increase our physical stamina and boosts our energy because it improves our blood's oxygen-carrying ability. 

OK, I didn't really intend to make a Top Ten list, so I'll stop...
but I keep thinking of reasons for including a green smoothie in your diet at least once a day.

But, you know what? 
All I really need to say is that...
Eating Greens will guarantee you will
LOSE WEIGHT, LOOK YOUNGER, & HAVE MORE ENERGY!

And, who doesn't want that?

Drink up my friends!

Cody


No comments:

Post a Comment